Windows 7 still rules at work, but iOS 7 is coming up fast

Credit: techedive via Flickr

IT departments are most likely to buy or support Windows 7 on devices, but Apple's iOS 7 is firmly in second place. But perhaps more surprisingly, Windows XP is still number three -- well ahead of the much newer Windows 8.

According to the 2014 IDG Enterprise CITE survey published today, Windows 7 is still ubiquitous at work: 51% of respondents said their companies are buying new devices with the nearly five-year-old OS and another 42% support existing devices, for a total of 93%. iOS 7 is supported by 72%, even though it's less than six months old, and the almost thirteen-year-old Windows XP is supported by 66%. Shockingly 10% of technology buyers surveyed in November and December 2013 said their companies were still buying Windows XP on new computers, even though support expires in April 2014. (You can see a slide with detailed results at the bottom of this post.)

Regarding those iOS 7 devices, the bulk of the new purchases are probably tablets. Almost half (49%) of survey respondents said that buying tablets is a top priority, along with employee training (49%). Buying smartphones for employees was slightly less common, at 43%.

For the report, IDG Enterprise surveyed 1,115 web site visitors who are actively involved in purchasing products for their companies. The average size of the company they work for is about 15,000 employees. Other interesting tidbits from the report:

  • IT is leading the push, with 56% of respondents saying their CIO or IT department was leading consumerization projects. Only 7% said the impetus came from users.
  • Consumer web services are common, with 90% of respondents saying that employees are using consumer or individual services to get work done; 41% of them said this was done without approval of the IT department.
  • MDM solutions could be better -- 37% of respondents said that MDM was too expensive, and 31% said that the available solutions didn't cover enough types of devices. Surprisingly, 23% said they had no MDM solution in place at all.
  • It's early days for the Internet of Things -- Only about 20% of large companies (1,000 employees and up) said they were looking at or deploying sensors and the data analytics tool to make sense of the data collected by those sensors.
  • There is no dominant vendor in CITE. Almost half the respondents could not name a clear leader among vendors promoting or helping enterprises adopt consumer technologies. Of the companies named, Microsoft came in first with 25% of respondents naming it the clear leader, and Apple and Google tied for second place with 15% each.

You can check out more information from the report here.

Here's that slide:

Credit: IDG Enterprise
From CIO: 8 Free Online Courses to Grow Your Tech Skills
View Comments
Join the discussion
Be the first to comment on this article. Our Commenting Policies