10 things we HATE about the Surface Windows 8 Pro
Microsoft's new Surface for Windows 8 Pro is a light, sleek device with the functionality of a tablet and also that of a full laptop, but it's not perfect.
After checking out a loaner from Microsoft we came up with some things we'd like to see changed to make this a better product. Here's the list.
1. You can't adjust the camera angle.
2. The battery life is poor. Microsoft claims 4.5 to 5 hours, but it can be less depending on workload.
3. No option to swap in a freshly charged battery.
4. You get significantly less storage than advertised. For example the device we borrowed had only 84.5GB out of 128GB total storage available for customer use.
5. The Touch keyboard yields slower wpm scores.
6. There is no 3G or 4G option.
7. There is no Ethernet port.
8. There is no version of Office as with Microsoft's other tablet Surface RT.
9. The kickstand. This prop supports the display at what Microsoft says is an optimal angle, but one angle just isn't appropriate for all uses.
10. There's no place to stow the stylus. It's magnetized to fit in the power-cord connector, but if you plug in the power you have to remove the stylus.
Tim Greene covers Microsoft for Network World and writes the Mostly Microsoft blog. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @Tim_Greene.
Bring your own device is so 2012. The next big push in the consumerization of IT is bring your own cloud. And just as when consumer devices poured into the enterprise, many IT organizations have already responded with a list of do's and don'ts.
Skyhigh monitors what cloud services employees are using and said that most businesses are surprised at what it finds.
A study by Cisco Systems' Internet Business Solutions Group concludes that the value companies currently derive from BYOD is "dwarfed by the gains that would be possible if they were to implement BYOD more strategically."
Google's new Android development environment pairs rich layout and build capabilities with IntelliJ IDEA's famous ease